Blog Archive

Feature: Everglades Agricultural Area Part II

Upon the return home from my first trip to the Everglades Agricultural Area, images taken were immediately transferred to the computer.



The Great Egret with Roseate Spoonbill above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



I had immense excitement to determine if I had captured any of my wildlife photographs successfully as I had to manually focus with the gear I was using at the time.



I learned that I don't ever want to be in the same predicament again.



The Cattle Egret above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



The next day I returned to the agricultural area with my primary camera that would allow autofocus of images taken presented here.



It was a much more enjoyable experience and was more confident with the exposure control of this camera I had been using for the last six months or so.



The Green Heron above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Departure from home was again a few hours before optimal sunrise light.



Tom Obrock, Jose Padilla and Vince Lucas were on their way but traveled another route from the Naples area.



The Red-winged Blackbird above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



I arrived at the first flooded field east of the University of Florida Agricultural Research and Education Center in predawn light and was surprised by the relative absence of birds seen in great numbers the morning before.



The birds may have been on the south end of the flooded field too far to see without the benefit of binoculars at the least.



The Mottled Duck above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



I continued on to the Brown's Farm Road flooded fields.



They had earlier offered the rarities not expected to be seen on the southern Gulf Coast including Black Tern, Gull-billed Tern and other migrants which I had hopes of photographing with better results.



The Black Tern above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



The sunrise was spectacular as I observed more wading birds than shorebirds.



I reported to Tom Obrock en route that I thought I had seen Fulvous Whistling-Duck, but found after review of the image taken that I had seen Black-bellied Whistling-Duck with the red color of the bill unmistakable.



The Black-crowned Night-Heron above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Hearing back from Tom that he had observed Barn Owl at "the tree" near the Miami canal, I wrapped up my observations on Brown's Farm Road to meet up with him, Jose and Vince at King Ranch on Highway 27.



I wasn't sure where King Ranch was, still unfamiliar with the area, but Tom got me headed in the right direction.



The Roseate Spoonbill with Wood Stork above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



After driving past them, I would make a u-turn after a few miles when I was sure I was lost.



I found them east of the sugar mill as Jose and Vince had their digiscopes focused on Upland Sandpipers and a Killdeer that I recognized.



The American Avocet above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



This observation point on the King Ranch frontage road along U.S. Route 27 about 2.5 miles south of County Road 827 is a good one especially with use of a digiscope.



Tom was gracious in allowing me use of his high powered binoculars to scan the sod fields.



The American Avocet above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



We next stopped at the flooded fields east of the University of Florida Agricultural Research and Education Center which offered a plethora of bird activity that was in sharp contrast to my observation earlier in the morning.



There were perhaps a thousand birds including the especially entertaining Wilson's Phalarope.



The Black Tern above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Vince spoke of the value of setting up a blind here.



It was surprising to me to see so many shorebird species so far inland that are typically observed at the beach.



The Lesser Yellowlegs above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



A shorebird blastoff event here was possibly caused by the shadow of a vulture flying overhead.



We then traveled to the Brown's Farm Road fields which I consider a favorite in the area visited thus far.



The shorebirds above were photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Roseate Spoonbill were again present in great numbers with several sporting well worn bands.



I recommended to Jose that we drive on the berm, warning of the rocks, and think he told me that it was a "rough road" after traversing it.



The shorebirds above were photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



The berm offers a magnificent view of the fields to the east from its high elevation.



This berm should be driven on with great caution only if your vehicle offers high clearance.



The Roseate Spoonbill above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



It was around noon at that point and the winds had really picked up with some drizzle.



From there we traveled north along the road I thought Tom Smith had told me wasn't worth traveling the day before.



The Pectoral Sandpiper above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



We made our way back onto County Highway 880 after a rain storm passed us.



Access to Six Mile Bend Farm off of 880 and Brown's Farm Road was granted to us.



The Black-bellied Whistling-Duck above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



This is another venue that requires a digiscope for best appreciation of the wildlife.



It offered an opportunity to get my first relatively good view of Upland Sandpiper which Vince said might accommodate my slow approach.



The birding masters (l to r) Jose Padilla, Vince Lucas and Tom Obrock above were photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



While I was determined to get an image of the species directly in my path, I inadvertently flushed the other birds off to my left that I did not see.



This is the most skittish species of bird I have yet seen.



The Upland Sandpiper above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



It was interesting to see the sod farm activities at this property.



We then traveled to Sam Senter Road which offered great bird activity in the early afternoon.



The Boat-tailed Grackle above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Jose allowed me use of a spare pair of binoculars he had for the remainder of our travels together.



The greatest concentration of Snowy Egrets were observed here with an observation of Fulvous Whistling-Duck which I last saw at STA5 in March.



The Glossy Ibis with Snowy Egret above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Our next stop on Gladeview Road south of 880 would offer another Fulvous Whistling-Duck with juvenile.



The weather again began to turn for the worse and we would part ways.



The Fulvous Whistling-Duck with juvenile above was photographed at Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



On my drive home I would have my first sighting of Helmeted Guineafowl east of Palomino Drive on E State Road 80.



Tom Obrock has compiled a remarkable list of 73 species of bird on his trip this day with a great account that can be seen here.



The Helmeted Guineafowl above was photographed near the Everglades Agricultural Area in August 2011.



Press here for a map with locations of Everglades Agricultural Area wildlife venues visited in 2011.



Feature: Everglades Agricultural Area Part I

Feature: Everglades Agricultural Area Part III